Galileo is hiring a conscientious Finance Assistant & Bookkeeper to join our team. This focused, nimble project manager will have a wide range of responsibilities including traditional month and year end procedures, streamlining and scaling financial and control processes. This is a rare opportunity for anyone who values working in a strong, collaborative environment and wants a chance to make a big impact within a mission-driven organization.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You’re inspired by Galileo’s mission and purpose. Innovation education, project-based learning, and working in a professional, welcoming, deeply camp-inspired environment should sound like things you’re ready to explore or sign up for.
- You’re a detail-oriented project manager. You are meticulous about the details, and pride yourself on delivering impeccable work product.
- You can juggle—and do some of your best work independently. You can manage your time and workload well. Changing deadlines? Multiple stakeholders? Easy breezy. You share comprehensive project updates like a boss.
- You’re a problem-solving teammate. You are wildly open to feedback, nimble when adaptation is necessary, and have a deep desire to contribute to the larger team vision.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers each summer. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the team like?
Our Finance gurus are more than bookkeeping and accounts payable aces. They oversee the best financial forecasting to ensure successful camp seasons for the next generation of campers. As we grow, our small but mighty finance team is committed to building outstanding relationships cross-functionally, through providing support on modeling new program offerings to resource planning for expansion.
What’s the job, really?
- You’ll serve as an operational accounting heart on our team, supporting everything from executing month-end close and year-end process to supporting account maintenance on the general ledger to recording journal entries in compliance with accrual-based accounting.
- You’ll assess existing processes and bring your own special eye to improvements. You’ll bring your finance know-how and help level up the team on projects like department and class classification of expenses, expense reimbursement systems, and payroll and benefits.
- You’ll support company-wide financial reporting, providing monthly or quarterly reports to cost center owners with their actual spend vs. budget variances, and other financial planning & analysis to Director of Finance.
- You’ll provide exceptional service to all Galileo staff with Finance questions or needs.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years experience as a full charge bookkeeper, preferably for a company with multiple P&Ls, hundreds of vendors and 50+ employees
- Understanding of Intacct, Salesforce, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong proficiency in Excel
- Readiness to stick around: we find that our team and team members benefit from a 3 year minimum commitment.
Schedule & Time Commitment
- Year-round, part-time, non-exempt employee
- Averaging 30 hours per week, with a weekly range of 20-40 depending on time of year (peak season is typically May-September)
Benefits & Compensation
- Base to be discussed during interview.
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available.
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option.
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 20 personal days per year.
- For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs.