Our Regional Directors (internally referred to as Area Directors) are passionate about working with kids and making an impact. They think innovation is important—so important that it’s at the cornerstone of how they lead, motivate, and inspire their staff. They are effective project managers, detail-oriented operations specialists, and visionary entrepreneurs. They care about our culture, our work, our development, and our community efforts. They embody our values of being visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined, and reflective. They are Galileo.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You live and breathe the Galileo mission. You believe in innovation. You believe that when kids are fearless, they learn and care more deeply. You believe that these fearless innovators will go on to change the world.
- You’re a leader — a servant leader — at heart. You believe that the best managers are ones who serve and support their teams, and you measure your success in large part by the success of those around you.
- You’re a lifelong learner. Growth mindset is your mantra. You’re eager to build on and develop skills in project and people management.
- You have an extensive hat collection. You wear many of them. You operate with an all-hands-on-deck mentality and understand that there’s no task too small, especially when your impact is so big.
- You’re an adept time manager. Juggling isn’t just a party trick—it’s your specialty. You know when to switch gears from detail management to supportive mentorship.
- You’re a glass-half-full hard worker. You’re committed to quality and are prepared to put in long hours when necessary. You take ownership over your own performance and strive to make Galileo—and yourself—better every day.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
Founded in 2002, Galileo operates summer day camp programs at 70+ locations throughout the Bay Area, SoCal, and Chicago. Our mission is to develop innovators who envision and create a better world, and we reach this mission through employment of our unique pedagogy, the Galileo Innovation Approach.
We’ve been ranked one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the SF Business Times for eight years running, and over 97% of our summer staff say they would recommend working for us. Being a Galileo Area Director means joining an organization that is a model of innovative learning, with a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our financial assistance program and other community efforts.
What’s the job, really?
As an Area Director on the Galileo Field Operations team, you’ll manage a region of 3-8 camp locations, impacting hundreds of children and staff members in each community. You will contribute to the development of Galileo programs and to our organization as a whole.
- You’ll brilliantly build and maintain relationships with host school partners. You’ll work to identify ideal sites and navigate communities to create momentum for district and school partnerships. You’ll wow potential partners while performing outreach to schools, making presentations, and negotiating facilities contracts.
- You’ll hit your numbers. You’ll skillfully confirm and drive camper enrollment, revenue, and profit goals for your sites based on history, community demographics, and cost structure.
- You’ll hire, train, collaborate with and develop a team of 3-8 site directors. You’ll be a supportive manager with high expectations, who takes this part of your role seriously. You’ll engage with and actively evaluate potential — strengths and areas of growth — and will thoughtfully push your team to greatness in ways that have an astounding ripple effect.
- You’ll liaise cross-functionally, ensuring the success of your region. You’ll work closely with cross-company stakeholders on projects ranging from creating and executing effective grassroots marketing campaigns to assisting with recruiting outreach and analyzing staff hiring performance.
- You’ll consistently act, achieve and operate. Working from a results-oriented mindset and, with exceptional executional savvy, you’ll get things done. You’ll know the priorities and non-negotiables, and will quickly cut through obstacles to achieve more in a day than most. You’ll set the bar high for yourself and for your team, and will consistently exceed expectations.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, advanced degree preferred
- Experience in multi-site operational management, managing projects, programs, or services
- Minimum 5 years experience working with K-8th grade range and managing people, ideally a team
- Readiness to stick around: we find that our Area Directors benefit from a 5 year minimum commitment
Benefits & Compensation
- Base and bonus potential to be discussed during interview
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 25 personal days per year
- For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs
Galileo SoCal Office, 100 W. Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802