Galileo is looking for an experienced, performance-driven People Services Manager to join our People Operations team, and be our in-house ADP payroll software expert. This stellar project manager will play an integral role in ensuring all Galileo employees are paid on time and accurately, and will manage a top-notch benefits program.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You’re inspired by Galileo’s mission and purpose. Innovation education, project-based learning, and working in a professional, welcoming, deeply camp-inspired environment should sound like things you’re ready to explore.
- You’re a deeply accountable, committed professional. Building and maintaining solid systems and vendor relationships are your thing. You look at the details of your professional life through a lens of efficiency, accuracy, and optimization.
- You can juggle—and juggle well. You can manage a variety of projects simultaneously. Changing deadlines? Multiple stakeholders? Easy breezy. You manage your time well and are meticulous about the details.
- You’re a true collaborator, and you can confidently and consistently contribute to a team. Plus, you’ve got the growth mindset it takes to effectively give, receive and implement feedback.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers each summer. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the team like?
The People Operations team is not your average Human Resources department. You’ll be on a team that approaches everything — from the way we attract and select candidates to the quality of service and the benefits offered to our employees — in a way that reflects the pride we take in hiring and retaining exceptional staff teams.
What’s the job, really?
We’re looking for a People Services Manager to manage the payroll duties for over 2,000 summer staff, as well as our year-round and seasonal staff teams. This payroll dynamo will be a deft executor and detail-oriented leader who thrives on team management and executing administrative tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- You’ll serve as the in-house payroll and benefits project manager. You’ll be the primary point of contact between Galileo and our payroll vendor (ADP) and benefits broker, including staying abreast of and reporting on payroll system updates and changes to benefits offerings.
- You’ll oversee payroll systems, including process break-down and division of labor, paperwork verification, direct deposit and check delivery. You’ll also run payroll for HQ staff every other week, and for ~2,000 summer staff every week during the summer.
- You’ll skillfully manage payroll-related communication through our ticketing system (up to 1,000 tickets per month during the summer), and by keeping information in ADP accurate (adding/terminating employees in the database, processing paid sick time accruals, bonus payments, and adding/monitoring wage garnishments).
- You’ll be at the helm of our concierge service, serving as the lead for payroll and benefits issues for all users and the People Ops Team, and providing weekly summer support and training to seasonal payroll managers, including Area Directors and Camp Directors.
- You’ll provide team and general human resources support, maintaining a high level of approachability, warmth, accountability, demonstration of service, and team leadership. You’ll also supervise payroll support hours for 1-3 People Services team members from June-August.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in an operational Human Resources role, preferably within payroll & benefits administration
- Experience with ticketing and project management, preferably at scale
- Experience in project management, managing work plans and interfacing with multiple teams
- Computer savvy: solid command of Excel and Google docs and ability to pick up new software and technology
- Skill at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
- Regular office hours averaging 45 hours per week, as well as occasional weekend and evening work
- June through August: 40-60 hours/week
Compensation & Benefits
- Base and bonus potential to be discussed during interview
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 20 personal days per year
- For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs
Galileo Headquarters, 1021 Third Street, Oakland, CA 94607