Galileo is looking for a people driven and detail-oriented administrative assistant to join our Oakland Headquarters team and to support our day-to-day office operations. The ideal candidate is an extremely organized and energetic self-starter who thrives on streamlining and executing a wide range of administrative tasks, while supporting the success of a team. This is a rare opportunity for anyone who values working in a strong, collaborative environment and wants to learn from and work closely with the leaders of award-winning Galileo programs.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You’re inspired by Galileo’s mission, purpose and values. You believe that the world needs innovators, and working in a professional, welcoming, deeply camp-inspired environment is something you’re ready to explore or sign up for.
- You can juggle—and juggle well. You can manage a variety of projects and interface with a variety of personalities simultaneously. Changing deadlines? Multiple stakeholders? Easy breezy. You manage your time well, know how to prioritize, and are meticulous about the details.
- You love working behind the scenes. Supporting the success of your teammates is what makes you tick. You don’t need (or want) the spotlight, and you’re happy when others shine bright because of what you’ve done.
- You make it possible for others to do their jobs exceedingly well. You’re a critical thinker and a servant leader who’s continually looking for the best way to reach a goal, and nothing brings you more joy than setting others (and yourself) up for success. “Yes, and . . . ” is your mantra.
- You understand that even the most basic things matter. The mundane isn’t mundane to you. You view tasks like sorting the mail, cleaning the kitchen, answering the door and phone, and wiping down tables (just to name a few) as critical, not basal. A well-run office, a clean inbox, and clean whiteboards give you deep personal satisfaction. You do whatever is needed, whenever it’s needed, without worrying about whether it’s “your job” or not.
- You’re deeply accountable and determined to get the job done right—always. There’s a big difference between delivering and delivering excellence. You live and breathe that difference, and see it as your place to bring it to fruition. You meticulously leave everything you touch better than you found it.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers each summer. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the job, really?
- You’ll keep the office running in tip-top shape. You’ll make sure the office runs—and runs well. With a bright smile and a spring in your step, you’ll answer the door and greet guests, manage the kitchen cleaning and janitorial schedule, interface with the landlords of both local and remote teams and ensure resolution on issues, manage office supplies and meeting rooms, help with basic printer and fax functionality, coordinate the safety and security plan and alarm system, and more. In doing so, you’ll lead by example and be an everyday hero to every single member of our HQ team.
- You’ll support the work of our executive team. You will manage calendars, schedule and coordinate meetings, manage the logistics of our annual offsite, book travel, manage email, print/collate/scan/file documents, participate in team meetings (take notes, drive action items, setup technology), complete expense reports and submit invoices, and provide all kinds of other administrative support as needed and directed. You might do research, take on special projects, and run an errand or two here and there.
- You’ll help wrangle technology and use it to be successful. You’ll get familiar with and help administer basic tech functions across the company—including managing the information on our office intranet site. You’ll respond to incoming tickets for company-wide support. You’ll manage everything from ensuring our video conferencing system works and is set up properly to making sure the entire phone system is working. You’ll also support the technology, field operations and camp support teams on projects as needed.
What are we looking for?
- College graduate, or equivalent combination of work experience and/or education
- At least one year of experience in an administrative/office support capacity and proven ability to execute discretion, tact, and calm under pressure
- Multi-stakeholder project management experience highly desired, with the ability to handle multiple assignments, vendors, and deadlines with a strong attention to detail and ability to accomplish a great deal
- High level of comfort with technology including strong command of Microsoft and Google Suites, and the ability to learn new systems quickly; experience using Salesforce a plus
- Warm, welcoming, and professional attitude and disposition, with excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
Benefits & Compensation
- Base compensation to be discussed during interview.
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available.
- Generous parental leave and extensive support with leave planning.
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option.
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 20 personal days per year.
- For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs.
Galileo Learning Headquarters, 1021 Third Street, Oakland, CA 94607