Galileo is looking for an experienced, performance-driven Interim Payroll Manager to join our People Operations leadership team, and be our in-house ADP project manager. Though a temporary position from March-August, this stellar project manager will play an integral role in ensuring all summer employees are paid on time and accurately through our busiest season.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You’re inspired by Galileo’s mission and purpose. Innovation education, project-based learning, and working in a professional, welcoming, deeply camp-inspired environment should sound like things you’re ready to explore.
- You’re a deeply accountable, committed payroll professional. Building and maintaining solid payroll systems and vendor relationships are your thing. You look at the details of your professional life through a lens of efficiency, accuracy, and optimization.
- You can juggle—and juggle well. You can manage a variety of projects simultaneously. Changing deadlines? Multiple stakeholders? Easy breezy. You manage your time well and are meticulous about the details.
- You’re a true collaborator, and you can confidently and consistently contribute to a team. Plus, you’ve got the growth mindset it takes to effectively give, receive and implement feedback.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers each summer. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the team like?
The People Operations team is not your average Human Resources department. You’ll be on a team that approaches everything — from the way we attract and select candidates to the quality of service and the benefits offered to our employees — in a way that reflects the pride we take in hiring and retaining exceptional staff teams.
What’s the job, really?
We’re looking for an Interim Payroll Manager to manage the payroll duties for over 2,000 summer staff, while our current Associate Director of People Services is on maternity leave. This payroll dynamo will be a deft executor and detail-oriented leader who thrives on team management and executing administrative tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- You’ll serve as the in-house payroll expert and project manager. You’ll be the primary point of contact between Galileo and our payroll vendor (ADP), including staying abreast of and reporting on payroll system updates to processes and/or functionality.
- You’ll oversee payroll systems, including process break-down and division of labor, paperwork verification, direct deposit and check delivery. You’ll also run payroll for HQ staff every other week, and for ~2,000 summer staff every week.
- You’ll skillfully manage payroll-related communication through our ticketing system (up to 1,000 tickets per month during the summer), and by keeping information in ADP accurate (adding/terminating employees in the database, processing paid sick time accruals, bonus payments, and adding/monitoring wage garnishments).
- You’ll be at the helm of our concierge service, serving as the lead for payroll issues for all users and the People Ops Team, and providing weekly support and training to summer payroll managers, including Area Directors and Camp Directors.
- You’ll provide team and general human resources support, maintaining a high level of approachability, warmth, accountability, and demonstration of service. You’ll also supervise 1-3 People Services team members from June-August.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with payroll administration, preferably with ADP
- Experience with ticketing and project management, preferably at scale
- Experience in project management, managing work plans and interfacing with multiple teams
- Computer savvy: solid command of Excel and Google docs and ability to pick up new software and technology
- Skill at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
- Regular office hours, as well as weekend and evening work
- Temporary position, with increasing time commitment:
- March through mid-May: 30 hours/week
- Mid-May through August: 40-60 hours/week
- Temporary, non-benefited position
- Compensation to be discussed during interview
Galileo Headquarters, 1021 Third Street, Oakland, CA 94607